Tips for Working with Minkee

>> Monday, November 30, 2009

    We all love what Minkee does when put on as a quilt back. Children and adults alike melt into the soft fabric and you just want to curl up on the couch with a hot cup of cocoa. What we don't like is working with the stuff, often the stretch is too much to handle so an alternative is chosen.
     Minkee has a mind of its own, hopefully these tips will help those of you who want to tackle minkee!



Tips for working with Minkee:
  -Minkee stretched crosswise but very little along the lengthwise grain (parallel to selvages)
  -Minkee "sheds" when cut - keep a lint roller handy! Or take your cut pieces outdoors and shake well      before sewing.
  -Use a walking foot to prevent the fabric from slipping as you sew.
  -When sewing Minkee to another fabric, place the Minkee on the bottom.
  -Pin the edges at 1 1/2" intervals.
  -Use a longer than normal stitch length - 3.0 to 3.5mm - to keep the seams from puckering.
  -Finger press seams open. Minkee (a polyester fiber) doesnt not like the heat of an iron.

2 comments:

Mrs Punch Friday, October 14, 2011  

OH MY GOODNESS what is that adorable animal print in your picture?!?!?! I found this post while looking for tips on working with Minkee - I'm making a really basic patchwork quilt for my nephew and will be trying my hand at creating applique letters out of Minkee to spell his name. So that's why I'm here. But Now I absolutely MUST know what that animal print is - it looks almost like some of the Kokka prints I usually work with, but I've never seen it before. Hopefully the fact that I'm posting this 2 years later won't matter... :)

Country Fabrics and Quilting Tuesday, October 25, 2011  

Mrs Punch
Its been such a long time, but I think its an Alexander Henry print. I hope our tips are helpful when doing your applique. If it was me I'd use Steam A Seam light to help hold my letters in place :) Good luck! xx

Post a Comment

Contact us!

Contact Us!

Please, Come in!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP